Sunday, June 7, 2009

Poznan, Poland 2009 (Day 1 and 2)

Well, I know it's been quite some time since my last post. Being in another country and trying to see everything physically possible leaves little time to do much else but sleep. Let's not forget the terrible internet connection where I'm staying! It's funny being spoiled with really fast internet at home and coming here to have it cut out during peak hours of the day.

Since I've been gone (from blogging) for so long, I'll just start at the beginning, from arriving to everything I have seen. When we first arrived in Poznan, after a 10 hour train ride, a futbol (soccer) match had just ended. Police and their extremely intimidating German Shepards flooded the platform to keep the crazy fans from rioting. A taxi drove us to our new apartment unscathed. Here is where I sleep.


To anyone who doesn't know, that is my roommate, Chris, in the picture not me. My bed is on the left and actually quite comfortable to say the least. The following pictures are of the kitchen, bathroom and outside of the house (respectively). The kitchen is what you would normally think of, but our bathrooms are pretty small. That seems like a trend in apartments and dorms here. It suffices though.


And, of course, you can't walk one block without running into at least one kabab stand. Let me tell you, they are delicious! I have had around 7 or so during my stay in Poland.


The streets are really pretty because they are so full of life and enrgy. There is always things happening, people walking around, and the occasional drunk singing Polish songs! Here are some pictures I took while exploring the streets.

Poland being about 90% Roman Catholic means that there are some absolutley astonishing cathedrals! I have never seen such beautiful archetecture, stained glass, and amazing alters in all my life. The pictures speak for themselves, so I will say no more.


Aside some rough patches like the internet and the extremely long travel time to and from the city, the first two days were interesting. It is great seeing how different even the cities within Poland are. There's plenty more to come tomorrow, when I'll be posting a synopsis of week one and way more pictures. Stay tuned!

Related Posts



No comments:

Post a Comment