Saturday, April 11, 2009

It Doesn't Hurt To Ask

Just recently, I was at a lovely deli by the name of McCalister's. I was indecisive of what I wanted, but knew one thing: I was going to order a chocolate chip cookie, no matter what! And I did, along with a nice bread bowl of soup. What I had for dinner isn't as relevant as what I'd like to talk about though. So, moving on.

Closer to the end of mine and my friend's meal, our waitress came by to collect our empty dishes and see if we wanted refills. McCalisters, having the best sweat tea known to man, we both asked for simple refills of our tea. When she came back to our table, I thought I'd play a joke on her. In a serious manner, I asked if I could have a free refill of my bowl of soup. She laughed. I then proceeded to continue the joke, asking her if I could have a free refill of my chocolate chip cookie. She laughs again, a little harder this time.

But then a heavenly note rang from the skies above and cast down a miraculous blessing. That's a bit overboard, but I think you catch my drift. Anyways, after she finished laughing, the waitress said, "I think I can help you out with that one. What kind of cookies would you guys like?" We were astonished! It worked! Just because I asked, we were able to get something free. Now, I wasn't trying to be stingy or cheap. Remember earlier in the story I actually ordered a cookie with my meal, so this would be my second. Why not take a free cookie whenever possible? I know you would.

The moral of the story is not to joke around with people a lot and think you can get your way. Rather, I challenge you to just ask questions. The simplest question can lead to something great. My list goes on. Recently, I had dinner with a local business owner, not because he invited me, but because I asked him. What do you know! This past December, my flight to Singapore was paid for by my school, not because they were sponsoring the trip, but because I simply asked for $1,500 and was granted it. This is no joke!

So, can I ask you something? Well, I'm going to anyways. What is one thing that has happened to you, where you never thought it could happen, but it did just because you asked?

Related Posts



4 comments:

  1. I received nearly a dozen passionate students that eventually created something I couldn't have imagined or accomplished myself.

    Asking is a priceless commodity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post Josh and yeah asking is never bad regardless of what the outcome. The problem is that often people(me too :-( ) think the answer will be in negative and they don't ask.

    I have started looking at it this way - for example, I have plans 2 eat dinner and as of now I am alone. So I ask one of my friend and he says no. So what ! Even before I didn't have anyone and even now I don't have anyone, I am not worse than I was before right ?

    Coming back to you topic, I agree totally, no harm in asking at all. As some one said "life is a box of chocolates, you never know which one you will get" !

    Keep asking and see the difference !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zeb, totally agreed. Not that I've had students, but I can imagine. Haha!

    Ani, Thanks! I will have to side with you on this one. Many times, this goes for almost everyone, we are afraid of being shut down or rejected, so we just let that fear stop us from even pursuing something.

    My hopes with this post is to try and persuade others to just ask and release that fear. Like you said, you really have nothing to loose. The worst that can happen is that you'll be in the same place as before.

    Gotta love Forest Gump!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahahahaha, that's awesome. I liked this post.

    ReplyDelete