Sunday, April 26, 2009

Live Action Illustration

I'm not aware of a correct term for this type of design, so I made up my own based on what seemed right: Live Action Illustration. Throughout my web browsing experience, many of these types of illustrations keep popping up. You can even see many similar effects featured in commercials. They are visually pleasing and interesting to look at.

If I feel the need, based on the feedback I hear, I will try to do some research on this type of illustration and do a history/breakdown post. Heck, if none of you give me any feedback, I'll still get to the bottom of this! So, possibly expect a post in the near future.

Anyways, what I really wanted to show is some of the best "live action illustrations" I have found and my attempt to mimic the style. While analyzing what these illustrators did and what I created, many aspects stand out to me that I can improve upon, but I think overall I achieved the look. Plus, I didn't use some hot girl as the centerpiece. I'm sure that helps. Here is my illustration.


It was a lot of fun creating this, regardless of the turnout. It wasn't too time consuming and the result seems very appealing. Also expect to see more of these illustrations by me in the future. If this sparks you to create one of you own, please make sure to send it to me via email or leave a link in the comment section of this post!

Here are some of the better illustrations I found on the wonderful wide web. Enjoy!

Related Posts



2 comments:

  1. This style has been around for about 3 years real heavy. It has also branched into the motion graphics and 3D compositing mediums. I have seen a lot of this style coming from artists who's art is shown in Advanced Photoshop and Creative Arts magazines as well.

    Its colorful. Its sexy. I like. Nothing better than vector and beautiful girls. I don't even care what they are selling!

    Notice when there is more detail, there is less of a color palette. Very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we can team up on a small research of this style? I'd like to know more about it. But, I have seen this is a lot of 3D project and commercials of the sort.

    You're right. It is sexy.

    I've also noticed the strong use of highlights, something I failed to do in my composition. :(

    ReplyDelete