Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Air And Simple Gifts

Today, the inauguration of Barak Obama as the 44th president of the United States of America is a milestone in history. People from all over the world, not just America, watched as Obama was sworn into office. Yes, that was nice and sweet, but my attention was soon diverted to the wonderful orchestral piece.

Maestro John Williams arranged a piece based on Aaron Copeland's arrangement of the old Shaker Tune "Simple Gifts" as "Variations on a Shaker Melody". Yo-Yo Ma performs along with Itzhak Perlman on violin, Gabriela Montero on piano and Anthony McGill on clarinet. I will admit, when I was watching this, I think a tear dropped from my eye. This is a beautiful piece that I am determined to find a download for. I assume iTunes will be releasing it sooner or later!

Related Posts



No comments:

Post a Comment