Sunday, January 11, 2009

You Know You're A Graphic Designer When...

This is the most accurate list I have ever read! And one that I can relate 100% or more to. It has also made me realize how much of a loser I really am! I have not included the entire list, but rather ones that most everyone can understand or get a laugh out of. But, I do apologize for some of these things that many of you will not understand, if you are not a designer or artist of the sort. The original link can be found here. Enjoy!

1. Your friends and family won’t watch movies or TV with you because you make too many comments about the poor lighting or bad composition.

2. You are pro-Facebook because 95% of the MySpace pages burn your retinas.

3. You refuse to purchase products that have poorly designed packaging.

4. You buy dog food based on the bag’s use of color and typography.

5. You critique every piece of design you see without realizing it (ex: “That is a horrible Photoshop mask!” or “I wouldn’t use that color scheme. A softer blue would do just nicely.”)

6. You’re in the sun and you look around for a Drop Shadow to sit under.

7. Seeing someone use Lens Flare and Comic Sans adversely affects your blood-pressure.

8. You maintain a grid system for your refrigerator magnets.

9. You’re up ‘til 5 am because you came up with the best idea ever while brushing your teeth.

10. You can name more than 200 fonts in under five minutes.

11. When you know what “kerning” is and you really, really like it.

12. You use words about fonts you dislike that other normal people reserve for fascist dictators and serial killers.

13. If you could go back in time you wouldn’t go back to see the rise and fall of civilizations, you’d go back in time to destroy the creators of Comic Sans and Papyrus.

14. Looking at a restaurant menu make you go “hmmm, ITC Baskerville italic” rather than “mmmm, lunch!”

15. Cmd+Z is the first thing that goes through your mind if you break something.

16. You can understand everything on this list and relate to almost all of it.

Related Posts



6 comments:

  1. I have seen several similar lists and I must say that yes, I agree with every one of those.

    That reminds me actually of a funny story. Adam Suirek was the instructor I had for my first class at IUPUI. He said, everyone being brand new to design and graphics, that if he would accomplish anything in the four years his students were at IUPUI he would get them to not only understand the concepts and the techniques to getting the communication across, but he would set a level of expectations on you as well. He said that he challenged us as designers to pick up a magazine after we had just a few courses in design and not try to tear it apart. Try to not change things in your mind with layout and colors, and font. Try to not think you could make it better by asking "why".

    That is something that has stuck with me all through my education and I will always use that on a daily basis when I look at a book cover, a CD jacket, a magazine, a billboard; you name it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. heheeh...i liked the "drop shadow" one !!!

    yes though i wont say i agree to all...but yes most of them !

    damn, i knew i was not a graphic designer ! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wish you would have used Verdana for your body copy - :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, this IS me... @looktouchfeel

    ReplyDelete